Northgate Baptist and Food For the Hungry

Northgate Baptist partners with Food For the Hungry and a small village called Marare, in Uganda, to help them become a self sustainable community. From building classrooms, supporting entrepreneurship and leadership skills, to sponsoring children from the community, we hope to help transform Marare to the point where they can help themselves as well as neighbouring communities.

In partnership with FH Canada

Thursday, October 7, 2010

One week to go

One week tomorrow and we leave. It feels like a dream. When I look at all the supplies laid out all over our family room floor I still find it hard to believe that we will really be in Africa, working with the children and getting to know the village people. I've been looking at pictures that Sieg, Tim and Gary took last year and I'm just in awe that we will be there, with those people.

I remember in June, 1972... the day we drove out of Zambia heading south to Cape Town... through my tears I vowed to my mother that I'd come back to Africa one day. If we had known it would be 38 years! I know that Mom, looking down from heaven, is excited for me too.

We have been so blessed by the many people who have supported us in so many ways to prepare for this trip. We couldn't have prepared the VBS program without Judith and Madhu. And our wonderful church secretary, Marlene who reminded me so many times to send her bulletin updates and was constantly asking what she could do to help. For so many prayer warriors who have been praying all along. For financial help from so many people who gave sacrificially to make this happen. For Kent, who encouraged me in so many small ways. For the Sinclairs who helped with the popcorn maker for the movie night, and put together the "Hunger" skit so well from Mike's idea. For one of my favorite seniors, Edith, who I know would love to come with us (and who we would love to have) but is, instead, staying home and making, along with a friend, 400 wash mitts for the children. For Wanda who found a supplier where we could buy some of the supplies we needed. For someone at the Health Services unit who gave me a website to order the Glo Germ products to help with our hygiene lessons. For all the individuals and companies who donated so many valuable things for the Silent Auction. And the list goes on and on...

God has blessed our team with a wide variety of ages, personalities, experiences, gifts and abilities. Are we ready? ... no. But God will use our inadequacies and bless the people of Marare!

No comments:

Post a Comment