Northgate Baptist and Food For the Hungry

Northgate Baptist partners with Food For the Hungry and a small village called Marare, in Uganda, to help them become a self sustainable community. From building classrooms, supporting entrepreneurship and leadership skills, to sponsoring children from the community, we hope to help transform Marare to the point where they can help themselves as well as neighbouring communities.

In partnership with FH Canada

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Pre Trip... 37 Days to go...

So today was immunization day.

Now, when I was a young child, needles weren't my thing. In my old age now, I've come to accept them as either really good, or really bad. While I could never be a needle based junkie, I probably could learn to needle myself in the event of an emergency.

And while I was sitting with the pharmacist for the first hour of the consultation, he explained everything from typhoid to malaria. I took the most notes about malaria.

In fact, I may give donations now to malaria research as it kills an entire population the size of Alberta each year. He also said Malaria wasn't preventable and that I should use extreme caution when it comes to bug bites and insect repellent on exposed areas every four hours. 35% deet to be exact.

Peel your own vegetables, use lots of hand sanitizer, eat everything piping hot. And so on.

And then time for the needles.

I thought I was going to have anaphalatic shock is what I thought, and it turned out to be a mild panic attack. Something about a live virus being inside me which he stuck me with.

Apparently 5-7% of people it turns into a real case, that I should monitor it for two weeks and that it could make me feel ill. So pay attention. I feel all right as it is, except that someone punched me in the shoulder ten times as though it were a never ending game of punch buggy blue.

I waited around for 15mins to see if anything was going to happen before I could leave. Just in case I needed medical attention.

Later that night, I called Kelseys to inform them I wouldn't be on time for work, they told me not to bother and so I went to my first basketball practice of the year, men's league style.

Ripped it up good. Men's league has been over since May now, and this was the first run of the 10/11 season. Broke a hearty sweat, as I've been playing coed which isn't as strong a talent pool or as talented and feel pretty good still.

Shoulder though, I think with a bit of tendonitis also, still feels achy. I attribute that to the needles.

Anyways, I will have another pretrip update in a couple days. Silent auction and stuff like that.

In my old blog, I always finsihed off with a verse of the day, I will do that here also.


Bible Verse of the Day:

Matthew 6:34

“So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment